St. Louis County Courts
Saint Louis County Courts of Missouri 21st Judicial Circuit

St. Louis County Court Circuit Clerk

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


How do I obtain a copy of my divorce decree?

You may obtain a copy of your divorce decree by one of three ways. You may call, write or come into the Circuit Clerk’s Office, 7900 Carondelet in Clayton, Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.. Our phone number is 314-615-8015. You need the names of both parties of the divorce, and the year the divorce was granted. The cost is $.30 per page for copies. If you need it certified as a true copy from the court record, there is an additional cost of $1.50 per certification.


Where do I get a copy of a will?

If the court has any records for the deceased person, you may obtain a copy in person at the court or by calling our Certified Copy Department at 314-615-2618. Please allow 48 hours for processing. The cost is $1.00 per page of the will.

For certified or authenticated copies, you may obtain a copy in person at the court, by mail, or by calling our Certified Copy Department at (314) 615-2618. Partial documents cannot be certified or authenticated – it must be the entire document. You will need the following information:

  1. Estate name and number.
  2. Document(s) needed.
  3. Type of copy requesting – certified or authenticated.
  4. Quantity.
  5. Requester’s name and call back number.

The cost is $1.00 per page for plain copies. Certified copies are an additional $1.50 per document. Authenticated copies are an additional $4.50 per document. Prepayment is required in some instances.

Complete guidelines for ordering copies and types of payment allowed can be found on our website at


How do I file a claim with the Small Claims Court?

The only age limit is that you must be twenty-one years of age to serve. There is no upper age limit to perform your civic duty.


How many days of service are required?

You may file a Small Claims case in the St. Louis County Circuit Court, 7900 Carondelet in Clayton, Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.. You may obtain a Small Claims Pamphlet to assist you in filing a Small Claims case. The pamphlet describes the Small Claims Division, who can sue in Small Claims, what you can sue for and advice on trying to settle a problem and what you need to do before filing a claim. The pamphlet further explains how to prepare for trial, file an appeal if you do not agree with the decision, and how to collect a small claims judgment. For a pamphlet call our Small Claims Office at 314-615-2601 or 314-615-2592.


Where do I pay a state traffic ticket?

You may pay a State Violation traffic ticket in the St. Louis County Circuit Court, 7900 Carondelet, Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. on the 5th floor at the Cashier Window for the Circuit Clerk’s Office. To pay your court cost you will need a copy of the cost bill that was given to you when you appeared in court. You may pay by cash, credit card (Visa or MasterCard), check or money order made payable to the St. Louis County Circuit Clerk.


I lost my state traffic ticket; what should I do?

If you lost your traffic ticket you should call the Criminal/Traffic Department at 314-615-4773 or 314-615-2649.


Where do I file an Adult Abuse Case (Order of Protection)?

Adult Abuse cases may be filed in the Circuit Clerk's Office, 105 South Central Avenue in Clayton, Missouri, Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Saturday from 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. The Adult Abuse Office is located on the Street Level of the Courts Building, Room S16. The Adult Abuse Office does not accept any filings for orders of protection after 4:00 P.M. during the work week. In the event you or someone you know needs to file an Order of Protection after business hours, please contact your local police department.


What is a certified copy?

A Certified Copy is a copy of a document or record signed and verified as a true copy by the clerk to whose custody the original is entrusted.


How do I obtain a certified or authenticated copy of information in a court case file?

To request a certified or authenticated copy, please submit to the Certified Copy Department of the Circuit Clerk's Office the following information:

  1. Case Number.
  2. Name of the parties involved in the case (e.g. Petitioner/Respondent or Plaintiff/Defendant).
  3. Note the type of copy you are requesting (e.g. Certified or Authenticated).
  4. Title of the requested document or you may specify the complete file.
  5. The approximate filing date, judgment date or if it is for a dissolution, the date the dissolution was granted.

The per page cost for either a certified or authenticated copy is $.30. The certification cost is $1.50. The authentication cost is $3.50. Payment is required prior to releasing the documents.

In the event that the case is stored at our offsite storage facility, please allow at least three working days to process the request.

For additional information, please contact the Certified Copies Department at (314)615-8015.